Skip to main content

Tuesday


Tuesday

We went straight to the orphanage today and had service. Today was baptism day. The preacher dismissed the Americans an then dismissed the children who wanted to baptized. So many lined up and I couldn't possibly fire out how we were going to do this. We had one big bus,one small one and a bishops SUV. Josh ( leader of our group) sd that only 20 people could go and there were about three spots left after those who had to go. I was really disappointed because I really wanted to be there to witness it but I prayed " we'll lord there must be a reason that you not want me to go". And the I thought " got in the trunk!"  So I grabbed three of my friends and we alla pull-ups in e trunk of the SUV. It was hilarious. You see, the water hole were we're going to baptize these kids was about ten minutes down the road and we had about 200 children to baptized and room was limited. We had to try to fit as many children as we could and bringing more adults meant less children could go.   But god made a way and most of our group was able to make it. We took a dirt road about ten minutes away from the orphanage. We parked in the middle of someone's village. I. The middle if three or four round mud huts. People I am not making this stuff up.  I've been able to experience things I have only seen on national geographic. People surrounded our group wondering what we were doing. Them the buses arrived and 200 children ran out!  We all walked a little ways on a small dirt path about12 inches wide to a pond in the middle of an African field. It was surreal. Everyone lined one by one walking hand in hand with children from the orphanage to the pond to be baptized. There was a man in the pond waiting for us. Three men from our group, bro Nate Roberts, bro randy, and bro Kurt, were able to get into the pond. Bro Nate and bro Kurt had never baptized anyone before and bro randy had only baptized two in his 35 yrs of ministry. ( mostly their pastors baptized). I was so happy for them. What an experience. Kids started running to the pond taking off their clothes and got in line to be baptized. It was the greatest thing. We baptized 207 children and three adults!!!!! The three adults included an 80 year old women who had gotten the Holy Ghost the day before in service. The other two men were helping the men to baptize the children and once they were finished they wanted to be baptized too. There was a Muslim man there who owned the land we were on that told bishop he had his blessing to use his land whenever he wanted to. His land was bishops land. There were also some children from the village who were there and who were wondering what we were doing. Josh asked if they had ever heard about Jesus and they said no. So josh taught them about who Jesus is and about baptism. They wanted to be baptized but feared their parents. 
I still can't quite rap my head around what happened. I've only heard stories about large numbers being baptized but I couldn't quite comprehend it until now. So thankful that god allowed me to witness this

When we got back from the orphanage, we went into the building where the children sleep to hand out bags we had made with candy, silly bands, and stickers. This was so fun. It went pretty well considering there are children everywhere. We formed lines and funneled the children through. We also passed out the flip flops and other toys we brought. This wasn't as orderly as the candy. 

The men on our trip and bishops sons and friends played a heated game of football, or what we call soccer. This was so much fun. The guys had a blast. America actually won!  Lol. Guys will be guys and even Ugandans smack talk during football. Lol. It was all in good fun and I took some really good pictures. 

I was able to meet the bishops mother today. She lives in a little round hut in the middle of the orphanage. I learned that this is where bishop grew up. He built and orphanage on his old homestead. How wonderful for this mother to be able to witness what god has done through her son. Bishop asked her to live with him but she rather stay in her home. She's such a beautiful sweet lady with a smile from ear to ear. 

During the game I was able to have a really good talk with me of the church members named Sandra.  She is a little younger than me and this girl is gorgeous!  We talked about our different cultures and had a honest discussion about the differences between America and Uganda. I learned so much. We talked about their dating process and weddings , different meaning to things they say, the issues that face their country and our. It was such a good conversation.   There was this little girl the who had stared at me all day. She finally had the courage to approach me and she took my hand. I put it in her palm and she stared pressing my fingernails and pulling my skin, rubbing my hand and following the lines in my palm.  She was so sweet and had the biggest shy smile on her face. I asked Sandra to ask her if she had ever seen a white person and she said no. I was the first white person she has ever touched. How incredible is that! And I'm not exactly that whitest of the bunch lolol :). 
Sandra said that after we leave the children sit in a circle and tell each other about what they did wi the white people; just like little girls back home Nashe said they laugh and giggle and tell each other their stories. How sweet is that :) 

We had to say goodbye and I didn't break down like I thought I would. ( thank god lol). Ronnie got attached to a little boy named Bennett who found him each day and held on to him. While we were walking to the bus after the soccer game, Bennett fought through the crowd and found Ronnie he held on to him and just hugged him. I think, no I know, that part of Ronnie's heart will be left in Uganda. 

Tomorrow we are going out to the property to see the orphanage that is being built. I ant wait. We then head back to Kampala for one night and then we leave. 

Good night from Africa!









Sent from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are we listening to?

I recently purchased this book called Women of the Word which was recommended to me by a friend.  It's a year long devotional of 52 women in the Bible.  I'm on week one and God is already using it to teach me.  EVE WHAT GOD SAID:  You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die. WHAT EVE TOLD THE ENEMY GOD SAID:  We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, "You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and  you must not touch it,  or you will die." WHAT THE ENEMY TOLD EVE:  You will not certainly die,  for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. First -  Eve added to God's word. Second - so did the enemy. Seeing this leads me to ask two questions: 1. How often do I add to God's word based off o

The big T

So I guess I've decided to keep going with this blog. Surprisingly, I'm finding that I like writing on this thing. My thoughts are mainly for me but maybe someone might feel the same about things and it helps to know you're not alone sometimes :) (At least for me it does) Ill try to keep it shorter than my blog from Africa though lol. So the big T. Wonder what that is? Transition. Spiritual transition. For me this word makes me want to cringe and be excited at the same time. My life has been in this faze for over a year now and it feels as though the emotions of it all are increasing daily. It's a mixture of excitement, wonder, and frustration all at once. Now I know frustration isn't what   god gives us but I've been feeling it. It's like I'm standing at the edge of the cliff wanting to jump, not sure what Im jumping into, but ready and not afraid, yet someone is holding my shirt and saying not yet. There's two things pulling me; knowing that t

Great Expectations

In four days I will be leaving for my second trip to Uganda.  This year is so different from last year.  I don't understand it but I'm more anxious this year than last year. (A good anxious though.)  Maybe it's because I know what I'm going into and I'm just so ready to get back to it.  I also feel like this is very different…..spiritually.  I know that my experiences will be very different from last year.  I have a few things that I want to take care of for Refuge so I'm going to work while I'm there.  But spiritually, this trip is on a whole other level.  God has been calling me to prayer for the children, Bishop and his family, the orphanage, and the people of Uganda more and more as we approach the day to leave.  I know there is a special calling on this trip---God's going to show up in a mighty way!  I feel like we not only have a physical mission, but that this trip's focus is more on a spiritual mission.  Please pray for us while we are there.