Skip to main content

Saturday

Saturday

We were up and ready for 730 for the bishops and his crew to pick us up. He didn't show up till 12 lol. That's Uganda time for ya!
The ride to the Mbale took about 6 hours and we stopped in Jinja to use the bathroom. I was looking out for Katie Davis but didn't see her. We were hoping to randomly run into her lol ( www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com).  The ride there was nice. We got to see a lot of the country side. It's really beautiful and full of rolling hills covered in sugar cane and tea trees. I sat by my friend Elijah and got to learn a lot about what I was seeing. He told me about the tree that we always see in Africa pictures. They are super tall and he said that they produce really good wood. We road through the biggest forest in Uganda. He said there were many snakes, tigers, and panthers but we didn't see any. Our African friends sang a lot of the way there. I think heaven will have Africans singing. Their voices are so beautiful. I can listen to them sing all day.  Timmy learned how to speak Lugandan. He and his best friend that he met Abraham talked the entire way there. It's such a joy to watch Timmy here. He has come out of his shell and is a different person. He and Abraham have become very close. They call each other brothers and already have a handshake :)  We also crossed the Nile which was a moment for me. I laid my eyes on the same river that Moses traveled down as a baby. It was beautiful. As we got closer to Mbale, we were told that Bishop has prepared a meal for us at his new home near the orphanage. I was so excited to be able to see where they lived. It is a beautiful home and this wonderful family deserves it. It's gated with a wall around it for protection. As you walk n the gate there is a bright green yard and their home. It fit all of their children and they are also adding a place for people who will travel to help them. From his home we were able to watch an African sunset. Oh how gorgeous. 
His home is about ten minutes from the orphanage. The road to travel to the oRphanage is dirt and exactly what I pictured Africa to be. It's in the middle of no where and the only thing around is little round mud huts where people live.  When god spoke Uganda to me, these huts were exactly what i envisioned. Its unreal. Children ran up to the road as the bus passed screaming and laughing and smiling. Some of us threw footballs out the window for them to have. 
I was a little nervous about driving into the orphanage. The plan was to stay for a short time, greet everyone and leave because it was getting dark. As we got closer, I started to hear hundreds of little African voices singing and cheering. I turned to shay and said "is that them?"  He smiled and said yes and that began the crying that didn't end until we got back to the hotel.  to hear them before you see them is unbelievable. The sounds is nothing ive ever heard before. I thought about what I would see and what I might smell and touch but NEVER what I would hear. Friends, nothing prepares you for what I was driving upon. HUNDREDS of small children singing and waving and smiling and so excited to see us. Running along side the van with tree limbs waving in the air. Sounds of "hallelujah, amen!" Coming from the sweet smiles. It was absolutely the most joyful, intense, overwhelming experience I've ever had in my life. All I could do was cry. And not the pretty cry either Lol. 
As we stopped the bus I thought to myself how am I going to get off.  You can't be prepared for hundreds of children surrounding you. The number means nothing until you see it with you own eyes. When I got off the bus two little girls came running up to me and grabbed onto me and walked with me into the church. As we walked, children just wanted to touch me. They were shaking my hand, bowing in honor, smiling. All I could do was smile and cry. Who am I? Why am I being honored this way by children that don't even know me. I know I've used the word humble a lot but that's the only thing I known to describe it. It was really dark but of could still make out the faces of hundreds of children. They ushered me into the church and even more children awaited us. They were dancing and singing and worshipping. Hundreds of people packed into a building worshipping to the light of one light bulb! One light bulb!  Oh how convicting is that.  Hundreds of people, worshipping and crying and smiling and overcome with joy unspeakable and full of glory. Nothing mattered other than we were one worshipping our god and celebrating each other.  The worship leader Francis ( who is amazing) sang one or two songs and then we all sat down. Bishop got to the mike and started speaking. Of course they had to translate for us. He spoke in Lugandan first and then someone interpreted English.  We were all listening and he spoke something in Lugandan and the children started screaming and shouting louder than normal. When the person translated in English, bishop had told the children that they would all have enough food for the next few days. Oh my I was speechless and crying of course lol. They cheered for food. FOOD!  What can you possibly say to that. So many emotions and thoughts were going through me. I was looking at the the faces of who ive been helping, who ive been working for. God let me see it!  It's real! It's reality and not just a story! The need is real and oh so great!  I was overcome with emotion when I looked at these faces and realized that not one of them had parent.  NOT ONE!  Hundreds of kids without a mom to hug them, without a father to teach them. They are really all alone and they're three and four and five years old. Hannah's, CC's, and Caleb's age.  Ashley and Corey and timmy age and NO family but the family god has given them through the church. 

We worshipped for about thirty minutes and then left.  Needless to say we were all quiet for a while. No pictures, no explanation, no videos can prepare you for this. Shay pinched me and smiled and said " this is real life." It's surreal. It's real and while I'm at home in my comfortable bed there are children around the world that just want a home. Children that I can learn so much from. I want their joy, I want to love like they love, I want their passion and childlike wonder for Him!  

We will go to the orphanage again All day tomorrow. It will be different because I will actually be able to see their faces. I'm sure I will have a smililiar reaction. All I can can say is waybalay Jesus!!!!

 I'm also leaning some Lugandan and Swahili words
Waybalay means thank you in Lugandan
Jumba means hello and goodbye in Swahili
Timmy is also learning. Abraham taught him the whole bus ride here and wrote down some things for him. 

Jumba from Africa! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The big T

So I guess I've decided to keep going with this blog. Surprisingly, I'm finding that I like writing on this thing. My thoughts are mainly for me but maybe someone might feel the same about things and it helps to know you're not alone sometimes :) (At least for me it does) Ill try to keep it shorter than my blog from Africa though lol. So the big T. Wonder what that is? Transition. Spiritual transition. For me this word makes me want to cringe and be excited at the same time. My life has been in this faze for over a year now and it feels as though the emotions of it all are increasing daily. It's a mixture of excitement, wonder, and frustration all at once. Now I know frustration isn't what   god gives us but I've been feeling it. It's like I'm standing at the edge of the cliff wanting to jump, not sure what Im jumping into, but ready and not afraid, yet someone is holding my shirt and saying not yet. There's two things pulling me; knowing that t

What are we listening to?

I recently purchased this book called Women of the Word which was recommended to me by a friend.  It's a year long devotional of 52 women in the Bible.  I'm on week one and God is already using it to teach me.  EVE WHAT GOD SAID:  You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die. WHAT EVE TOLD THE ENEMY GOD SAID:  We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, "You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and  you must not touch it,  or you will die." WHAT THE ENEMY TOLD EVE:  You will not certainly die,  for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. First -  Eve added to God's word. Second - so did the enemy. Seeing this leads me to ask two questions: 1. How often do I add to God's word based off o

Great Expectations

In four days I will be leaving for my second trip to Uganda.  This year is so different from last year.  I don't understand it but I'm more anxious this year than last year. (A good anxious though.)  Maybe it's because I know what I'm going into and I'm just so ready to get back to it.  I also feel like this is very different…..spiritually.  I know that my experiences will be very different from last year.  I have a few things that I want to take care of for Refuge so I'm going to work while I'm there.  But spiritually, this trip is on a whole other level.  God has been calling me to prayer for the children, Bishop and his family, the orphanage, and the people of Uganda more and more as we approach the day to leave.  I know there is a special calling on this trip---God's going to show up in a mighty way!  I feel like we not only have a physical mission, but that this trip's focus is more on a spiritual mission.  Please pray for us while we are there.