Skip to main content

REAL

I've been back in the states since Saturday...well physically back.  But my mind and my spirit is still in Uganda.  I'm going to try to attempt to put into words what it feels like to come back here after spending so much time in another world.  Many of my friends who have gone on the trip with me have experienced similar feelings when they return.  I don't speak for them.  But I can try to help you understand.

This doesn't feel REAL.

It feels REAL there.

I've been walking around in another world for the last few days.  I go about my day with my thoughts on Uganda.  My mind is in another place and the trivial things of this place just don't matter to me.  When I'm in Uganda, I feel free.  I feel that what I do matters. The things I'm thinking about or praying about or talking about has meaning.  My focus is on the people, the children, God, and how I can be used.  Trivial things like do my shoes match my outfit, or how does my hair look, or what should I wear tomorrow just don't matter.  I don't spend time worrying about daily things like I do here.  The people of Uganda have priorities that I want.  God, family/friends, food, health, shelter, community, education - simply that.  There's no vanity when I'm there.  There's no anxiety, no selfishness, no frivolous things.  Only survival and necessity.  I know there are so many things there that can also be negative - lack of medical care, lack of food, lack of adequate shelter for some.  But that's the thing.  You only care about what REALLY matters.  There isn't time to worry about what others will say about you.  It's just...simple.

This morning, I got to my desk in my office and just teared up.  How do I go about life as usual.  I love my friends, my family, my church. I thank God for the blessings I have here. Please don't get me wrong.  I appreciate everything God has given me and I'm not complaining that I have them nor do I fault others for being who they are.  It's just an adjustment coming back from such want to so much extravagance.  I don't believe you should sell everything you have and live in poverty or feel guilty for being blessed and I don't look down on people for just living how they've always lived.  I'm not being snobby and I don't have a holier than thou attitude toward people; I just appreciate things differently now.

I want simple. I want truth. I want the basics.  I want REAL.  

It's like being a round peg in a square hole.  It's like you are carrying this thing with you and only a handful of people understand.  It's like you're carrying the faces of those children; their needs, their heart, their cries, their laughter, their excitement. You're carrying the love you felt, the friendships you made, the sites you've seen.  You carry this joy even though you're caught between here and there.  You're carrying this story inside of you and only a few people have read the book.  Others are annoyed with you because all you seem to want to talk about is Africa and the things you've seen there.  You are cautious not to annoy people but you're so full of it that it just overflows from you.  You live in two worlds at the same time and try to figure out which one you fit into.  You feel out of place in a group of people and when you try to explain it, words can't be found to paint the picture you want others to see.  You're mind wonders at the oddest times and find yourself daydreaming about songs you don't know the words to but can only hum the tune.  You replay pictures in your mind of one particular little boy who had the brightest smile and the stickiest blue lollipop that he shared with three other children.  You're heart is just so overwhelmed by the joy, the love, the seriousness and burden of it all.  You're overwhelmed by the great things and by the difficult things.  So much goodness but so much need.  It goes with you wherever you are.  It's who you become.  And you wouldn't have it any other way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are we listening to?

I recently purchased this book called Women of the Word which was recommended to me by a friend.  It's a year long devotional of 52 women in the Bible.  I'm on week one and God is already using it to teach me.  EVE WHAT GOD SAID:  You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die. WHAT EVE TOLD THE ENEMY GOD SAID:  We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, "You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and  you must not touch it,  or you will die." WHAT THE ENEMY TOLD EVE:  You will not certainly die,  for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. First -  Eve added to God's word. Second - so did the enemy. Seeing this leads me to ask two questions: 1. How often do I add to God's word based off o

The big T

So I guess I've decided to keep going with this blog. Surprisingly, I'm finding that I like writing on this thing. My thoughts are mainly for me but maybe someone might feel the same about things and it helps to know you're not alone sometimes :) (At least for me it does) Ill try to keep it shorter than my blog from Africa though lol. So the big T. Wonder what that is? Transition. Spiritual transition. For me this word makes me want to cringe and be excited at the same time. My life has been in this faze for over a year now and it feels as though the emotions of it all are increasing daily. It's a mixture of excitement, wonder, and frustration all at once. Now I know frustration isn't what   god gives us but I've been feeling it. It's like I'm standing at the edge of the cliff wanting to jump, not sure what Im jumping into, but ready and not afraid, yet someone is holding my shirt and saying not yet. There's two things pulling me; knowing that t

Great Expectations

In four days I will be leaving for my second trip to Uganda.  This year is so different from last year.  I don't understand it but I'm more anxious this year than last year. (A good anxious though.)  Maybe it's because I know what I'm going into and I'm just so ready to get back to it.  I also feel like this is very different…..spiritually.  I know that my experiences will be very different from last year.  I have a few things that I want to take care of for Refuge so I'm going to work while I'm there.  But spiritually, this trip is on a whole other level.  God has been calling me to prayer for the children, Bishop and his family, the orphanage, and the people of Uganda more and more as we approach the day to leave.  I know there is a special calling on this trip---God's going to show up in a mighty way!  I feel like we not only have a physical mission, but that this trip's focus is more on a spiritual mission.  Please pray for us while we are there.