Skip to main content

Mercy Mobile



When we are young, most of us don't dream of driving a minivan some day and I am no exception. I've always loved bigger vehicles and these last few years, my eyes have been set on an Expedition.

We almost bought one two years ago when we bought the minivan but it was just right out of our price range.  And I wanted the minivan. With two little boys, it was exactly what our family needed - practical and affordable.  

I didn't hate it.  I wouldn't say I was in love with it but I enjoyed it.  Sliding doors will change your life.  Just sayin!

I've always been practical. Rarely will I splurge and buy on impulse.  My husband is the same way.  We research, we think, we pray, we talk it out, and then we wait a little while longer and then make a decision.

But when that shiny new (used) Expedition with the AMAZING price tag was on the lot , we couldn't pass it up. We took it home for a night and I really liked it, but something just wasn't settled right in me.  It's like it wasn't the right season and because of the gas and the bulky doors (kids), I was so unsure. BUT how could we pass this up!  There was no reason to get it, but there really wasn't a good enough reason NOT to get it.

So we brought it back the next day and told the car dealership, "No thank you."  

NOPE. We bought it.  Against my better judgment, my practical brain, and this unsettled feeling.  I'd always wanted one, the price could not be beat, I'd finally be out of the mom mobile, it was higher off the road...there were so many good things about it.  Except one. I didn't have peace about it. And I drove it around for two weeks unsatisfied, not excited, and with something in my gut telling me I had stepped out of His will.  

Some may read this and think, "You're crazy!  It's just a car."  But it's more than that.  Daniel and I are financially in a place where we can make a decision like this, but that doesn't mean we should.  I have always been a firm believer that God is in the details.  He knows the beginning from the end, He sees what's ahead of us, and speaks to us in the now so that we can stay on the path He has planned for us.  And He cared if we bought a new car.

I don't think I ignored the lack of peace. I just reasoned my way out of it. Questioned, "Is that really you God or this practical brain stopping me from just doing something spontaneous and fun for a chance?"  That double mind that the enemy uses to deceive us into questioning what the Lord has spoke to us about.  Sound familiar? Hello! EVE!

But every time I looked at that vehicle in my driveway, it quickly became a reminder that I had missed the mark.

The other night, out of the blue, Daniel mentioned to me, for reasons of his own, that he had thought about getting the van back.  I knew God was making a way for my mistake to be redeemed and made right.  I hadn't talked to Daniel about all the things I had been feeling, but God knew.  I literally wanted to run to the dealership that night to make right this wrong.  Because if you're like me, when God convicts me, I want to make it right immediately to not have to carry that guilt feeling in the pit of my stomach any longer than I need to.

So we drove off the car lot the next morning in our brand new (used) Minivan.  The same one we gave up two weeks ago.  And when I woke up that morning, I was excited and at peace.   Like a burden had been lifted. 

Yes - over a minivan.

It meant that My God redeems. He gives me a way to make it right.  And despite the embarrassment and the shame and I'm sure the questions and looks I'll get, He opens a door for ME to do the right thing.

The Bible says that "He will give you the desires of your heart."  

God had to take me on this embarrassing journey to teach me that if my heart lines up with his heart, the things that I need will become the things that I want. Because this morning, I WANTED the minivan, not the Expedition.  It wasn't just about the vehicle either.  It was about wanting His peace and His perfect will for my life MORE than my fleshly desires.

God will give me the desires of my heart, but first they have to line up with the desires of his heart.  Once I deny my fleshly desires and I truly walk in obedience to Him, His desires become my desires.  We start to find contentment and peace and joy in the sliding doors and keyless entries of life.  The stuff that once our flesh didn't want, our heart will desire, by obedience and trust and faith that He really does know what's best for us.  

The Expedition wasn't for me.  It may be in the future, but not in this season.  He knows why.  And I trust Him.

He is faithful.  He will give mercy and make ways for me to right my wrongs.  He will forgive and He will  allow me to move on. And He will speak to us daily, even through a Minivan.

And I have learned His voice through missing it.

So next time all you peeps who are hatin' on the minivan want to bash it, remember that it could be someone's mercy mobile ;)

(I am not, nor will I ever, be offended by jokes my friends make about my minivan. They're just jealous that they don't have those sliding doors ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are we listening to?

I recently purchased this book called Women of the Word which was recommended to me by a friend.  It's a year long devotional of 52 women in the Bible.  I'm on week one and God is already using it to teach me.  EVE WHAT GOD SAID:  You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die. WHAT EVE TOLD THE ENEMY GOD SAID:  We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, "You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and  you must not touch it,  or you will die." WHAT THE ENEMY TOLD EVE:  You will not certainly die,  for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. First -  Eve added to God's word. Second - so did the enemy. Seeing this leads me to ask two questions: 1. How often do I add to God's word based off o

The big T

So I guess I've decided to keep going with this blog. Surprisingly, I'm finding that I like writing on this thing. My thoughts are mainly for me but maybe someone might feel the same about things and it helps to know you're not alone sometimes :) (At least for me it does) Ill try to keep it shorter than my blog from Africa though lol. So the big T. Wonder what that is? Transition. Spiritual transition. For me this word makes me want to cringe and be excited at the same time. My life has been in this faze for over a year now and it feels as though the emotions of it all are increasing daily. It's a mixture of excitement, wonder, and frustration all at once. Now I know frustration isn't what   god gives us but I've been feeling it. It's like I'm standing at the edge of the cliff wanting to jump, not sure what Im jumping into, but ready and not afraid, yet someone is holding my shirt and saying not yet. There's two things pulling me; knowing that t

DO NOT LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Lord, use me.  A prayer I've prayed a million times.  But lately I've been doing some soul searching, or rather God has been telling me about myself. (Don't you love when he does that.)  I've always wanted to be used by God greatly.  I've said that I've surrendered all, sang the song a million times, and just turn around to pick up all the junk I've laid on the alter for the 15th time that month and try to figure out this "surrendered" life I'm supposed to lead.  I've tried to map out how he can use me, where he can use me, and what he will have me doing.  Well let me just tell you folks, my head has been stuck in the sand for many years.  Now don't get me wrong, I've always wanted what God wanted for me and although I've put up a fight for a few things, I usually give in, hang my head like a little girl, and say "You were right all along and I should have listened the first time."  Why do us girls always try to figu